Next week, we will be celebrating Shrove Tuesday by making pancakes.
However, do you know why we celebrate this day? What is the significance behind the pancakes?
Here are some facts:
- Shrove Tuesday falls before Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of lent.
- The word shrove comes from the verb ‘to shrive’ and this is a reference to confession.
- The pancake tradition comes from using up rich food ingredients in preparation for lent.
- Lent is a period of time (forty days and forty nights) when people give up luxury items, trying to follow the example of Jesus in the desert.
- Lent was traditionally meant for giving up rich food items, but in the present day people can give up anything from chocolate to alcohol.
Siren FM reporter Danny Newman finds out the story behind the pancakes..