Northampton v Imps

Lincoln City Football Club travelled to Northampton Town looking to get back to winning ways on New Year’s Bank Holiday Monday.

The Imps took on the Cobblers just two days after falling to a 2-1 defeat to Bradford City at Sincil Bank.

However, despite a thunderous 25-yard left-footed volley from midfielder Josh O’Keefe, City slumped to another 2-1 defeat – The same result as when the teams met at Sincil Bank in November.

City manager, Steve Tilson made four changes to the team that lost on New Years Day. Joe Anderson, Luke Howell and Ben Hutchinson were promoted to the starting line up, as was defender Danny Hone, who returned after a six-month loan period at Darlington.

Lincoln started brightly as they pushed for the early goal. Energetic midfielder, Luke Howell put Ben Hutchinson through on goal. But Northampton defender, Ben Tozer blocked to deny the former Celtic man a fifth goal of the season.

Despite the Imps having the better of the opening exchanges, it was the home side that produced the most efforts. ‘Keeper, Joe Anyon was called into action on a number of occasions throughout the first half.

Most notably Nathaniel Wedderburn fired a pacey effort at the City shot stopper. Anyon was able to gather the ball comfortably though.

The teams went in at the break level and looked like they could and should get something from the game.

Neither side made any changes and the home team came out attacking in the opening moments of the second half.

An Andy Holt throw in caused trouble for the City defence as Hone got a head to the ball, causing Anyon to tip the ball over.

On 64 minutes, Northampton found themselves ahead when another long throw got through the Lincoln defence for Billy McCay to poke in from 15 yards out.

The Imps found themselves level 10 minutes later when Josh O’Keefe pulled a powerful left-footed shot right out of the top draw.

Gavin Hoyte’s cross was half cleared and fell for O’Keefe to strike first time from all but 25 yards out. The goal was his first in City colours.

However, unfortunately for the travelling fans, what O’Keefe could do, Town’s John Johnson could do better. The midfielder unleashed a magnificent 30 yard strike that Anyon could do nothing about. Town were ahead with two minutes left and Lincoln looked shell-shocked.

2-1 was the final score and have now gone three games without a win. They now look forward to a home tie with Hereford United in a F.A. Cup second round replay on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *